Whenever we ask any cat owner that which type of diet we should give to our cats on the daily routine, most of them will reply that it should include the carbohydrates, protein, and fat in the right quantity. But do you know that besides all these nutrients the high fiber cat food is also essential to include in your cat’s daily meal?
The high fiber cat food is as outstanding as any other food for the cats. It makes them healthy, active and stronger so that they do not become over eight and obese. However, the amount of fiber should be in right quantity always.
Do you know that which is the best high fiber cat food that you can buy?
In the below article, we will provide you the list of the ten best high fiber cat food along with some useful info that will help you in picking the right product for your pet. We are sure after reading the below article; you will have a clear picture in your mind that which fiber cat food you should buy and why.
So, without wasting much time, let’s have a quick look at the best available options in the market today.
Different Types of Fiber
Fiber is also a type of carbohydrate that derived from the floras. Usually, the doctor suggests the high fiber diet for the cats as this combines with the waste inside the intestinal tract and alters the stool’s composition.
The following are the two types of fiber that we will discuss in between the below article:
1. Fermentable Fiber
Fermentable fiber gets quickly break down by the enzymes in the body of the cat. It also allows all other nutrients to get easily absorb inside the intestinal tract of the cat. One drawback about this fiber is that it makes the stool of the cat very soft which is not right.
2. Non-Fermentable Fiber
Non-Fermentable fiber does not break down by the enzymes in the cat’s body. It generates more significant masses of the matter which benefit in cleaning the intestinal tract of the pet. One drawback about this fiber is that it makes the stool of the cat dry and can cause constipation also.
Comparison Table of High Fiber Cat Food
The following are the top 10 best high fiber cat food which we have chosen after doing in-depth research and study. We have reviewed them thoroughly so that you can know every single aspect of all the products.
Please have a look!
1. The Editor’s Choice: Hill’s Science Diet Hairball Control Dry Cat Food – High Fibre Cat Food for Healthy Weight
The first name on our list is Hill’s Science Diet Hairball Control Dry Cat Food which has the fiber as the main ingredient. This ingredient not only helps the cats in proper digestion but also reduces the formation of the hairballs. It especially recommended for the cats that have the age of seven or more.
The product also comprises of the omega six fatty acids along with the vitamin E so that the cat can get shiny and healthy skin easily. The natural ingredients like minerals, vitamins, and amino acids make this food more useful for the robust immune system.
- It benefits in to maintain the healthy weight of the cat.
- It reduces the formation of hairballs in the cat.
- The skin and the coats of the cats become much glossier without any problem of shedding.
- Cats suffering from the chronic problems easily regain the healthy body after consuming this food regularly.
- It has corn ingredient also which might not function correctly for all the cats.
- The pieces are too large for the small cats.
2. IAMS Proactive Health Specialized Care Adult Dry Cat Food – Cat Food for Sensitive Stomach
This high fiber cat food is manufactured by the famous company “Iams.” It comes in the packaging of 7 lbs. You will find the product quite useful for the digestive health of the cat for the long-term period. It comprises of the balanced and complete formula without any fillers at all.
The manufacturers have included highly digestible prebiotics, antioxidants, and proteins in the food so that the maximum absorption of the nutrients along with the muscle mountainous achieved. There are lots of veterinary doctors who recommend this diet to the cat owners.
- It is a useful high fiber cat food that benefits in maintaining the weight of the underweight or overweight cats.
- Cats having sensitive stomach can easily digest the food.
- Cats suffering from regular vomiting are benefitted a lot from this food.
- There are more grains and less meat which you might not like.
- The kibble’s size is not so much different.
3. Purina ONE Indoor Advantage Adult Premium Cat Food – High Fiber Food for Shiner Coat
It is a high fiber dry cat food that fulfills all the nutritional requirements of your cat. Everybody knows that the cat is a carnivore animal and mostly rely on meat. This product provides 42 grams of protein in each single serving of the food so that your cat can get strong muscles for jumping as well as climbing. It also comprises of the turkey to enhance the overall taste of the food. There are no fillers in the food.
The natural fiber of the food benefits in lowering the problem of hairballs and digestion. Due to the less content of calories, it becomes very easy for the cat to maintain the healthy weight. The kibbles are so much crunchy that it diminishes the plaque accumulation.
- It tastes like the cereal of the meat.
- Available at the reasonable price on the market.
- The quantity is enough to serve the cat.
- The cats become less active after consuming the food.
- The coats of the cat turn out to be shinier.
- You cannot serve it for more than one cat.
- Only for the adult cats.
- The poop of the cat stink s after eating this food.
4. Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Lamb & Rice Adult Cat Food – Best Food for UTIs In Cats
If you are looking to fill up your cat’s stomach with some fantastic high fiber cat food then, Purina pro plan sensitive cat food is a perfect choice. It has lots of fiber, 40 percent protein, and the real lamb. It is also formulated with the digestible oatmeal and rice so that the body of the cats can easily digest the food.
In every single serving of the food, the cat fetches natural prebiotic fiber that helps in the proper digestive health. The antioxidants of the food support the immune system of the cats in a much better way. It is one of the best food which offers complete nourishment to the cats along with the variety of flavors.
- The flavor of the cat food is outstanding because of the high amount of meat and fiber.
- Cats suffering from the UTIs get easily recovered with this food.
- It is one of the reasonable substitutes for the other high fiber cat foods.
- Your cat might gain some weight of your serve this food on a regular basis.
- It is not optimum for the cats having the fish allergy.
5. Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Fiber Response Dry Cat Food 8.8 lb – Suitable For All Age Group Cat
The next name on our list is of Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Fiber Response Dry Cat Food. It comprises of some high-quality fibers that benefit your cat in having a proper bowel movement so that the food can move through the colon. It also boosts the oligosaccharides in cats so that the health of their intestines gets improved.
The probiotics ingredient of the food allows restoring the natural abdominal flora of the cats. It has the digestible proteins also that do not let any strain on the digestive system of the pet. Besides this, the chicken by-product and brewer’s rice helps in fixing the health issues like constipation and digestion in cats successfully.
- The problem like constipation gets easily solve with this food.
- Can consume by any age group of cats.
- It works immediately after the consumption.
- It is an excellent high fiber cat food which acts as a substitute for traumatizing medication.
- Works more effectively if you combine it with the wet food.
- It is an expensive food to buy.
- It has corn ingredient also that might not suit your sensitive cat.
6. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dry Cat Food – Best Cat Food to improve Digestion
It is a 100 percent grain free high fiber cat food that comes in different packaging which varies 1 pound to 10 pounds. It contains the single source of animal protein, i.e., salmon. The diet works effectively for controlling the problem of hairballs in cats. The prebiotic fiber in the food allows in the easy digestion of the food so that you can clean the litter box of your pet quickly.
The product not only fulfills the nutritional requirements of the cats like omega 6, protein and omega three fatty acids but also make sure that your pet has a flawless and beautiful skin. Thus, if you want your cat to have a healthy and a lean look then, you must choose this product.
- It is a good value for money product that has the excellent fiber content which is optimum for the cats.
- The probiotic fiber inside the food helps in the natural digestion.
- Lots of veterinary doctors recommend it for the skin allergies in cats.
- It has a solid taste which few cats might not like.
- Other varieties of the same brand are more preferable to buy.
7. Stewart Fiber Formula Cat Treats – 2.1 oz – Case of 12 Pouches – Food for Lethargic Cats
The Stewart fiber cat treats the excellent amount of fiber, low calories, low fat and small sodium ingredient. All these things make this product a healthy option for the cats. The texture of the food is also quite crunchy that supports in controlling the tartar. Lots of veterinary doctors recommend this food for managing weight in cats.
Some of you might want your cats to follow the fat restricted and sodium restricted diets then, this product is a perfect option for you. Cats suffering from the colitis, hairballs and diabetes mellitus get aided from this product quickly.
- It is a well-balanced high fiber cat food that comes at the reasonable price.
- The taste of the food is readily acceptable by the cats.
- A good product for the finicky cats.
- Works perfectly for the cats affected by diarrhea and lethargy problems.
- The manufacturers have not provided the details regarding the ingredients.
- If you’re open the packet once, lots of food gets wasted if the cat does not consume the whole.
8. Raw Paws Pet Natural Pumpkin Powder Digestive Supplement for Dogs & Cats – Best Cat Food to Cure Colon
It has the pumpkin as the main ingredient which is quite a rich source of fiber, beta-carotene, Vitamin A and antioxidants for cats. It benefits in the healthy and regular stools of the pets without any side effects. We are sure that your pet will relish the taste of this food.
You can either mix it with the water or add in the meal of the pet. It possesses the shelf life of 24 months, and thus you can store it for the longer time in the ziplock bag.
There is no use of artificial ingredients, preservatives or fillers while manufacturing this product. You can feel the boost in the immune system of your cat after including this food in their diet.
- It is quite easy to mix with the canned food.
- The finicky cats will surely love this food.
- A 100 percent natural product that has pumpkin powder in it.
- A cat suffering from colon issues get cured quickly with the food.
- It is only a supplement for the fiber, and thus you can give it along with the other food to your cat.
9. Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Cat Food by Nature’s Variety – High Fiber Cat Food Rich In Protein
It is a complete nutritive high fiber food for cats that is grain free. It contains 15 percent fewer calories and 25 percent less fat than the other food products. The main ingredient in the product is the cage-free chicken.
There is no use of potato, grain, corn, soy, wheat and artificial preservatives and colors while making this product. Your cat will enjoy the flavor of the food that contains the bites of the real chicken.
What we like more about the product is that it has the L-carnitine ingredient that helps in burning the fat in the pets so that they can have a healthy metabolism.
- Your cat will become energetic after consuming this food.
- It has the high amount of protein so that your cat feels fuller soon.
- Can smell the change in the litter box of your act after eating the food.
- Makes the coat of the cat shiny and beautiful without dandruff and matting.
- Has less fat content that can make the skin of the cat dry.
- Your cat might not like frozen chicken pieces and less quantity of kibbles.
10. Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Cat Food – Best Cat Food for Fat Cats
The last name on our list is of Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Cat Food which contains the real chicken as the main ingredient. There are no wheat, ground corn, soy and artificial colors in the food.
Your cat will get the good amount of Taurine, minerals, and Vitamins from the product. The ingredients used in the product are entirely natural and simple like vegetables, brown rice, etc.
Thus, if you are looking for an excellent organic high fiber food for your cat then, it is a good option to consider.
- There are no allergenic ingredients like wheat, soy or corn in the food.
- Good option for the fat cats.
- The fur of the cats becomes glossy and smooth after consuming this food.
- It is an expensive high fiber cat food to buy.
- The food gets stale as soon as you open it.
- It has barley ingredient which might affect your sensitive cat’s health.
Things You Should Know Before Buying High Fiber Cat Food
The following are the critical list of things to which you should pay attention before buying the high fiber cat food:
1. Composition Of The Diet
It is imperative that the food you are picking for your cat has right ingredients like fiber. The fiber should be non-fermentable so that the cats do not have to ferment it. It is true that none of us have the idea about the type of fiber a food constitutes but still you can search for them on the online sources.
For example, ingredients like Seed husk, oat fiber, dried potatoes and rice bran are excellent source whereas you should avoid giving the foods which have corn gluten, whole grain wheat, cellulose or wheat gluten.
2. Quantity of Fiber
Lots of people who choose fiber cat food think that it is an enough nutrient for their pets. But wait, this is not right. You cannot only rely on this nutrient to make your active healthy and strong. In fact, in the food for the pets, very less amount of fiber is included (around 3 to 5 percent). Thus, you should not make yourself fool that more quantity of fiber makes your cat stronger.
Photo credit: Tony Austin on Flickr
3. Extra Nutrients and Vitamins
The food for the cats that have high fiber content helps in fighting against diarrhea, diabetes and weight management. Besides this, the food should also have extra nutrients and vitamins too so that it can benefit your cat in overcoming any other health issues also.
4. Price Of The Product
The cost of the product matters a lot for anyone of us. So, if your cat is suffering from severe health issues like diabetes then, you should feed her some high-quality food. However, in case of regular health problems you can serve her the best consistent product. Feeding expensive food to the cats for the long term can be a burden on your pocket, so you should think wisely before buying any branded product.
5. Tastes Of The Food
The flavor of the cat is also an entirely significant factor while picking the high fiber cat food. If your cat does not like the flavor of the food then, it will become impossible for you to feed her. Thus, you should know the flavor of the food that you are buying and also check that whether your pet will like that taste or not.
What Are The Benefits Of Fiber For Our Cats?
It is not mandatory to include the fiber in the cat’s diet as it is a carnivore animal. Cats mostly rely on meat but providing them fiber in the food helps them in building strong health and fitness. The below are the few benefits of fiber that our cats get:
1. Weight Management
When the cat food has more quantity of fiber in it then, it means that your cat can easily combat the health issues like overweight and obesity. It makes your act feel fuller for the longer period, and she will not ask you to feed her frequently. The high amount of fiber not only satisfies the cats but also provide fewer calories to them so that their weight does not get the increase.
There are so many cats that have the habit of overeating, and this makes them overweight also. But eating high fiber cat food makes them feel full so that they eat less food in the end. The high fiber food takes longer time for digestion, and that is why the cats do not indulge in the act of the overeating.
Photo credit: faeryhedgehog on Flickr
In the human beings, one of the common side effects of the obesity is diabetes, and this same thing happens in case of our dear cats also. feeding your cat with the food that has lesser calories is always advantageous for the health. Preventing the high quantity of the food does not let the problem of weight gain in the pets.
The pet owner has to look after that how much food your cat is eating. The food which has low carbs, high protein, and high fiber is always good for the pets. But you should not forget to consult your pet doctor before providing them any particular diet.
CONSTIPATION is also the main issue which we usually found in the cats. With the high fiber cat food, you can fight with this health problem forever. It is essential that when your pet is affected from constipation, you feed them with the good moisture content food. Providing them the wet food is also a good option as that can suffice the need of the moisture in their body to some extent. Foods comprise of high fiber also provides good moisture that makes the cat’s stomach tract moving efficiently.
Diarrhea in the cats results in the watery or frequent stools. However, with the fermentable fibers diet, the digestion of the cats gets slowdown that finally occurs in adding more bulk to their stool. Do you know why this happens?
The fiber can attract water to make the gel that results in the solid stool of the pets. But that does not mean that you should feed your cat with the ample amount of fiber as this can worsen the condition of your cat’s health also. The high amount of fiber decreases the quantity of enzymes which helps in absorbing other nutrients.
5. Reducing Hairballs
If you are a cat owner then, you must know the problem of HAIRBALLS in cats. This issue is not only excruciating but can make your pet to create lots of mess in your house. Hairballs occur due to the diet which has low moisture content or sometimes because of the problem of GI tract or excessive hair from cleaning.
There are so many foods in the market that states they can deal with the problem of the hairballs in cats effectively. By feeding high fiber cat food can also help you from overcoming this problem. It mainly helps in moving the hairballs easily from the cat’s intestinal tract. When your cat easily passes the hairballs through the tract then, there will be no issue of any messing up in your home.
6. Gland Disease
Cat possesses two anal sacs that are quite sensitive regions. While sitting down or dragging, these areas get hurt. Thus, in such cases, the high fiber cat food makes your cat have bulk stools that put pressure on the glands. It benefits in treating the gland diseases in the cats.
Photo by Luis Mézquita on Unsplash
How to Choose Good Fiber Cat Foods?
We know that it is not an easy thing to find the high fiber cat food. But if you keep the following points in your mind then it will become easier for you to choose the good fiber cat foods:
- The wet foods have much high fiber content as compared to the dry cat food. In fact, the complete dry food is also not good for the cat’s health as well as digestion.
- You must not buy the cat food that has fiber derived from the cellulose, wood chips or wheat corn. These ingredients are only fillers and are also poorly fermented. It can upset your pet’s stomach.
- You should always consult the veterinary doctor of your pet before changing your cat’s diet to the high fiber one. Sometimes the cats do not easily adapt to the new diet quickly.
- The cat food which has good fiber does not contain the ingredients like bran, rice, soybean or peanut hulls. All these are fillers that can affect the pet’s health adversely.
- The foods which have too much fiber content can result in the inadvertent turgidity to your cat. It can create lots of constipation in the intestine of the pet that can irritate them also.
What Are The Advantages Of The High-Fiber Cat Food?
Many of you think that the fiber helps in the right digestion of the food in cats. Besides this, there are also few advantages of the high fiber cat food that your pet can enjoy. Please read them below:
1. Effective In Weight Loss
The high fiber cat food works like a miracle for the overweight cats. It makes them feel full for the longer period so that they take less amount of food.
2. Decrease The Constipation
Cats usually suffer from constipation, and then fiber helps them in getting rid of it. We are not saying that this is a permanent solution, but it can surely help them a lot. Feeding the feline with the correct quantity of the moisture also makes their gastrointestinal tract right.
3. Fight Diabetes
Doctors recommend high fiber food to the cats that have diabetes. Such food benefits the cat in deceleration the absorption of fat and sugar in the body of the pet so that it takes time for processing.
Photo credit: flyaway2112 on Flickr
4. Better Stool Secretion
You know that the fiber-rich diet hardens the waste of the so that they can excrete it easily. But you should serve them the food in right quantity only to fetch good results.
How Much Quantity Of Fiber Does Your Cat Require?
The cat mostly needs 1 to 3.5 percent of the fiber in their food. However, the NRC (National Research Council) suggested that the cats can have 10 percent content of the fiber in their daily meal diet. According to our research and study, the cats should feed with the good quality of fiber rather than the high amount of fiber in their food. Such diet can only recommend by the good veterinary doctor.
How to check the right quantity of fiber on the food?
While checking the label on the cat food, you can see the fiber content also. It shows some indigestible carbs (also known as fiber) that are present in the cat food. Usually, a cat food has 3 percent of fiber, but if it has more than that then, it is better.
Alternatives To The High Fiber Cat Food
When you feed high fiber food to the cat, it makes them more energetic and healthy in the long run. But do you know that there are some alternatives also to the high fiber cat food which you can consider?
The following are some alternatives to the high fiber cat food:
1. Water Fountain
Lack of fiber also relates to the insufficient amount of water in the cat’s body. Pets do not like to drink the still water, and they get enthralled with the moving water. So, having a water fountain in your home can make your pet drink more water so that they can fetch good moisture in their body in return.
Lots of hairball removers have Vaseline as the main ingredient. Shockingly, you can also serve the Vaseline to cats as they enjoy having it. Serving them with the half teaspoon of Vaseline can make the cats rid of the hairball problem. But you should not forget that Vaseline only served before or after two hours of eating as that can interrupt the digestion of the cat’s meal.
3. Canned Pumpkin
You can add one teaspoon of the canned pumpkin in the food of your cat. As you are aware, the pumpkin is an excellent source of high fiber and gets easily digested by the pets. But the canned pumpkin must not contain any preservatives and completely pure.
Photo credit: Sabri Tuzcu on Unsplash
What Will Happen If You Feed The Cat With The High Fiber Cat Food?
There are lots of things which happen when you shift the diet of your cat to high fiber food. Their digestive system needs time to adapt to the new diet regime. We are listing down the few things which usually occur with lots of cats that switch to the high fiber diet:
1. Excessive Gas
Sometimes we shift the diet of our cat from low fiber to high fiber, and this can result in the extreme gas issue in them. This problem occurs because of the change in the amount of fiber that the cat’s stomach was usually digesting earlier on a daily basis. In fact, cats can do some farting and all also.
2. Extra Poop
When you feed them with the additional fiber in their diet then, it can lead to the excess poop more regularly. The poop might be in bulk than the normal. If you find something unusual then, immediately call the veterinary doctor of your pet. Otherwise, everything is normal.
3. Picky Eaters
Cats are also picky like any other pet and primarily when you are feeding her with the high fiber food. Such food is also less tasty than the regular diet of the cats. So, cats might not like these foods and try to avoid easting them. But, all these are assumptions which might vary from pet to pet.
To conclude it up the article, finding the good high fiber cat food is unpredictably tricky. But the above buying guide will surely help you in choosing the right food for your cat.
All the products listed in the above article do have some similarities and dissimilarities. But we can assure that all the products that are listed have been selected after doing thorough and in-depth research by us.
According to us, the clear winner here is the Hill’s Science Diet Hairball Control Dry Cat Food which has won in all the regions of the field. It not only suits the pocket of the buyer but also provides an excellent source of fiber to the cats. This versatile product also helps in keeping your pet healthy and lean.
Whatever product you choose from the above list for your cat, your cat will undoubtedly get benefitted from it. Once you use them, you will also recommend them to your friends and relatives who have cats of their homes.
We hope that you like the above article. If you still have any query in your mind then, please do write to us. We will reply to you soon. You can also share this article with all your near and dear ones who want to know about the high fiber cat food in detail. We will appreciate your support.
Thanks for reading and keep exploring our website for more new information regarding your cats.
Related Buyer’s Guides and EForPets Lists:
- Best Dry Cat Food – Buyer Guide’s!
- Best Automatic Cat Feeder Reviews – Buyer’s Guide!
- Best Food For German Shepherd Puppy And Pomeranian
- Best Smelling Dog Shampoo
Related Tips and Tricks from EForPets Lists: