Can Cats Eat Seafood? Everything You Need To Know!
Lots of people love to take good care of their cats. But sometimes they forgot that besides giving them love and regular diet, it is essential that we provide them the foods rich in vitamins and minerals like seafood. Now you must be thinking that "can cats eat seafood"?
SEAFOOD is good for overall health of the human beings as well as for the cats as it comprises of ample amount of protein. Human beings can consume the seafood stress-free but what about the cats? Can cats eat shrimp or salmon? Is there any healthy option in seafood for the cats?
To know all your answers, please read the below article. Here we will tell you in detail about the above questions, and we will also share with you some valuable info regarding the addition of seafood in the diet of cats.
So, let's begin!
Can Cats Eat Seafood?
The short and simple answer to the above question is YES. The maximum number of cats can eat the seafood, but in a moderate quantity as numerous risks are involved in it. If the seafood that you are offering to your cat is unflavoured, fresh and appropriately cooked then, most probably it will not cause any severe or long-lasting problems for healthy cats. The different types of seafood include salmon, shrimp, and seaweed. Later in the article, we will tell you that whether the cat can eat these foods or not.
On the other hand, there are some situations in which the seafood might immensely harm the health of your cat. For example, as the uncooked meat is not suitable for anybody's health, similarly the raw seafood also originates with a danger of contamination.
There might be harmful bacteria and parasites on the raw seafood that might kill or sicken your cat. There are so many breeds of the cats that are allergic to the seafood, and therefore such cats should be given the seafood in their diet with complete care.
Can Cats Eat Raw Salmon?
The answer to the above question is no. Eating the raw salmon is not safe for the cats. The raw SALMON might comprise of the bacteria that can result in the food poisoning in cats. In fact, in some studies, it is proved that eating the raw salmon can cause the deficiency of the Vitamin B1 which can lead to the severe health issues like vascular injury or nerve damage.
Thus, if you want to feed salmon to your cat then, it is better to cook it before feeding to the feline.
Can Cats Eat Shrimp?
The raw shrimp is safe for the cats, but if the shrimp is wild, then you should cook it without oil, fat or seasonings before serving it to the cat. Most of the shrimp that you found in the market are farm raised that use fungicide, antibiotics, and harmful chemicals and with the cooking, all these dangerous things get destroyed.
SHRIMP is quite a rich source of protein that you can give to your cat occasionally. Always clean appropriately before cooking and don't give your cat more than one serving of the shrimp.
Can Cats Eat Seaweed?
Seaweed is quite soothing seafood for the stomach of the cat, and it also works as the antacid that deactivates the acidity causing indigestion or heartburn. It also prevents the growth of worms in the body of the cat.
But, you should give the seaweed in a limited quantity to your cat. Do not give it solely. Its extent depends on the age and weight of the cat. You can sprinkle slight amounts of it over the food of the cat or mix it in the cat’s wet food.
Significant Health Benefits of the Seafood to the Cat
There are numerous health benefits that seafood offers to the cat, such as:
- In comparison to the red meat, many categories of seafood have the low amount of calories, fat, and cholesterol that also makes it a healthy substitute for beef.
- The cats that are obese or overweight can easily eat these low calorie or low-fat food without any oil or fat.
- It provides numerous vital micronutrients like vitamin B12 that helps in the proper digestion of the food by cats. Without the adequate Vitamin B12, there can be chronic fatigue, muscle weakness or problems related to the nervous system among the cats.
- With the consumption of the seafood, the immunity of the cats also gets improved. You can see the excellent improvement in the overall health as well as the energy levels of the cat.
- Seafood, particularly like shrimp, comprises of lots of amino acids that the flesh-eating cats require to thrive.
- The deficiency of the taurine in the body of the cats also gets fulfill with the seafood like shrimps. Lack of taurine might result in the symptoms like enlarged heart, skin rashes, bone problems, muscle weakness, chronic fatigue and vision difficulties.
What are the drawbacks of the seafood for cats?
It is true that the seafood is a nutritious food for the cats, but there are few drawbacks associated with it that you should know as the owner of the feline:
So, now you know the answer to the question "can cat eat seafood." Always remember that there is the high risk of contamination in the seafood. So, don't serve the seafood without cooking to the cats.
Seafood is a nutritious food that can become a healthy treat for your feline if it serves in a limited amount.
We hope that you enjoyed reading the article. If there is any query regarding the article then, please write to us. We will reply to you soon.
Related Buyer’s Guides from eforpets.com
- Best Automatic Cat Feeder Reviews – Buyer’s Guide!
- Best Dry Cat Food – Buyer Guide’s!
- Best Dry Cat Food 2018 – Buyer Guide’s!